There are specific skills recruiters and hiring managers look for if you’re seeking jobs in finance. Whether you are looking for consulting work or a staff position, these skills are often cited by hiring managers as the top attributes they look for in a candidate to identify the best workers in the financial industry.
Five Top Skills for Jobs in Finance
Companies looking for top finance talent routinely cite the following five skills as “must haves” in their new recruits. How many of these skills would you rate yourself an “A”?
- Good communication skills: Jobs in finance aren’t about working at a desk or computer all day. Most financial professionals have to explain financial data to others, especially non-finance professionals. Good written and oral communication skills are essential for today’s jobs in finance.
- Strong IT skills: Finance professionals must be knowledgeable about the world of IT. Many companies rely on financial professionals to work directly with IT experts to create systems to manage and report on the company’s financial status. You’ll need more than a passing knowledge of basic databases and other information technology resources to work successfully with your colleagues in IT.
- Problem-solving skills: Companies seek financial experts who possess good problem-solving skills. Although there’s a place for intuition and experience, reason and logic prevail in the world of finance.
- Self-directed: Jobs in finance today call for independent workers. You must be highly self-motivated and self directed.
- Ambition: Along with someone who can work independently, jobs in finance call for ambitious people who aren’t afraid to roll up their sleeves and work hard when the task calls for it. An ambitious person seeks opportunities to shine through excelling at projects and high-visibility tasks.
Whether you are a consultant seeking your next challenge or a professional looking for jobs in finance, possessing strong skills in any of these five categories will help you rise to the top of your profession.
BCforward offers companies expert recruiting services to save time and find skilled additions to their teams. For more information, visit our website.